When your organization conducts any kind of business process, such as manufacturing or distributing products, these business processes generate delivery notices, invoices and purchase orders that must be funneled through your accounting department. If you aren’t currently using a type of paperless office software, that means there is a large amount of time and money being wasted on handling paper.
A document management solution can help your office accounting go paperless and benefit your entire organization.
If you ask someone in your Accounting Department how long it takes to get up from their desk and retrieve one paper document from a file cabinet, they may say two minutes. Once you figure out that getting up from the desk, stopping work, chatting with coworkers on the way, and just interrupting the general workflow, that process ends up averaging up to 20 minutes. That’s not even taking into account the time and effort wasted if the paper document is misfiled or stored in a separate location.
Fortunately, today’s enterprise content management solutions make it possible to replace all of that paper going through your accounting department with far more efficient paperless processes that save time and money.
Here are five ways your accounting department could benefit from using paperless office software:
- Saving time on document handling- In a paper-based accounting department, each document that comes requires a manual process. When you receive a purchase order, for example, you might label a new manila folder and set it aside. When the invoice comes in, you’d retrieve that folder and add the invoice. Eventually, you’d add a check copy, close out the order and put it in a file cabinet.
The Result is that your accounting staff spends more time than you think assembling and organizing paper. An enterprise content management solution saves an enormous amount of time by replacing each of those manual tasks with a few keystrokes of the click of a mouse.
- Reduced document storage and supply costs: All of the materials that go into a paper accounting process cost money, including folders, paper, ink, and file cabinets. There is also the cost of the storage space where all the paper is being filed. With paperless office software, all of the materials and physical space that you’re currently using is replaced with digital document storage at a fraction of the cost.
- Instant document retrieval: With electronic file management, your accounting staff is able to find any information they need in seconds, without having to get up, go to a file cabinet and search through folders hoping whoever filed it did it correctly. With enterprise content management, you also make it possible for everyone in your organization to access any documents required to move a process forward.
- Faster response time for inquiries: Paperless office software also makes it easy for your accounting department to answer inquiries from outside parties, such as vendors and customers. With a paper-based system, when someone calls to ask about a payment or a purchase order, you have to stop what you’re doing, hunt down the documents you need and then call the other person back to provide them that information. Electronic documents take only seconds to retrieve, allowing you to respond quickly to inquiries and eliminate steps.
- Faster invoice processing: When a paper invoice arrives at your accounting department, a person first needs to look at that piece of paper and type the information into your accounting system or ERP system. With electronic invoice processing, on the other hand, that data entry is replaced with electronic invoices or a combination of scanning and OCR processing. You start out with all of the information already captured in your accounting system, saving significant amounts of time and reducing errors.
In any type of business, incoming orders and invoices must go through the accounting department for processing. Implementing paperless office software at this point sends a ripple effect throughout the organization, improving productivity and reducing costs.
As we continue our series on the 5 focuses of IT for Peace of Mind, our next focus is on creating an Technology Plan for your business. A strategic technology plan is an integrated plan that addresses both your current needs as well as your needs steps ahead of them of them happening. A strategic technology plan contains 7 main steps
I hate to break it to you, but that Nigerian Prince isn’t real. By this time, most of us know that, but will most of your employees notice that the email they just got is from a fake email? Hackers, Spam, Phishing, and Malware are getting smarter and if you don’t have the top Security Services, you probably should be
As our series continues with the top 5 main focuses for total IT Peace of mind, we talk next about Responsive Support. In our last blog we talked about Proactive Monitoring. This time, we talk about what happens when that proactive monitoring doesn’t prevent a problem. When something happens with your network, most companies come to a standstill. Companies today are very
One of the 5 main focuses of Total IT Peace of Mind is Proactive IT Monitoring. Proactive Monitoring is something that many companies aren’t actively doing, but it is a best practice that save companies thousands of dollars and make companies much more productive. Proactive Monitoring means that your devices and network are constantly being monitored. When something becomes close
The 5 main focuses (and one to always consider) of Total Information Technology Peace of Mind When you begin looking for a complete IT Solution, there are a few things that you need to consider for your company. A complete IT Solution should provide you with Fortune 50 practices whether you have 50 or 5 employees. Let’s look at what
There are 5 main focuses when considering how to obtain total IT Peace of Mind, technically 6 but we will talk about that later. Most companies have one of three IT strategies currently within their business model. These strategies are where we will begin talking about Total IT Peace of Mind. The first is that they have their own department.