KNOW THE DIFFERENCE
The Break-Fix Model and Managed IT Services
Companies of every size are at risk in today’s world of malicious actors—viruses, malware, breaches, ransomware—but each company assesses that risk differently. Some prefer a Break-Fix (DIY) approach, where the company reacts to an issue as it occurs. In contrast, the proactive approach is an IT-managed network service, which implements a trusted, strong technical partner to manage and protect a company with technology adapting to ever-changing security threats.
The old method of fixing an IT problem is a costly risk. Consider the differences in the models:
This refers to IT services provided on an as-needed basis with unforeseen issues
The reactive approach can be devastatingly expensive and inconsistent, potentially putting you out of business.
Long Service Times
5 mins, 5 hrs, 5 days? Without a maintenance agreement, it’s hard to say how quickly you will receive the help you need.
Lack of Interest
You deserve a company who aligns with your business objectives and has your company’s best interest in mind.
Without an in-house team managing your day-to-day tasks and prevention, you’re playing roulette with your business security.
The Reactive, DIY Scenario
- An IT problem is discovered
- Team member sets aside core business tasks to resolve, or a per-hour IT services provider investigates
- Best-Case Outcome:
- Problem is diagnosed accurately and resolved on first attempt
- Likely Outcome:
- Problem requires multiple attempts at diagnosis/resolution
- Team member who attempts to fix the problem accidentally worsens it, or IT provider requires many billable hours to resolve issue
- Parts or external services must be ordered
- Service downtime costs grow and significantly hurt your business
Even in the best-case outcome, resources must be pulled from core business activities for the duration of the problem’s diagnosis and resolution; even in this optimal scenario, your company loses productivity. Anything less than the best-case results in increased expenses and downtime and lost opportunities.
DID YOU KNOW?
90% of data breaches are human errors
Managed IT Services Provider (MSP)
This refers to ongoing IT maintenance and customer support billed at a fixed monthly rate
No more complicated invoices. Monitoring, backup, anti-virus, and unlimited support included in one monthly fee.
Priority response to critical issues. We resolve most problems with immediate remote support.
Constant surveillance of all networked hardware and software keeps down time to a minimum.
Retrieve critical data quickly using a dedicated backup server in the event of catastrophic loss.
The Proactive, Strategic Scenario
- Altek Business Systems’ monitoring and alerting detect the problem before it occurs
- We instantly and accurately diagnose the problem in the Service Center
- We conduct rapid remote remediation from the Service Center, resolving the problem
With Altek’s managed services, your IT issues receive immediate attention from the correct technology expert, with fast, reliable resolutions. Many issues are proactively detected and resolved before you notice. Costly surprises are no more, and downtime is significantly reduced (or eliminated) so your team stays focused on core business activities. We also provide comprehensive performance and issue reports each month and quarter.
The managed services model simply outperforms the break-fix approach, and Altek Business Systems makes it easier than ever to switch. With our month-to-month payment structure, your company may easily optimize its IT budget without a long-term commitment. The monthly plan includes unlimited support calls to our help desk; our top-notch customer service team will assist your day-to-day needs.
As Altek becomes familiar with your company’s network, we not only produce quicker solution times, but we also can consult with you for growth opportunities, technology decisions, and more proactive protection against security breaches—which offers further benefits, e.g. lower insurance costs from cybersecurity insurance companies.
Altek’s Managed IT Service offering is a proactive approach designed to allow you to focus on your business and give you peace of mind.
FEW HELPFUL TIPS
Phishing attacks may also appear to come from organizations, such as charities. Attackers often take advantage of current events and certain times of the year, such as political elections, natural disasters (ie. fires, floods, etc.), health scares (ie. Corona Virus), and economic concerns (ie. IRS scams).
- Examine the email address and URLs in all correspondence. Scammers often mimic a legitimate site or email address by using a slight variation in spelling.
- Do not follow the link provided. If an unsolicited text message or email asks you to verify your account information, go to the company’s website to log into your account or call the phone number listed on the official website.
- Do not open any attachments unless you are expecting the file, document, or invoice and have verified the sender’s email address.
- Carefully scrutinize all electronic requests for a payment or transfer of funds.
- Be extra suspicious of any message that urges immediate action.
- Confirm requests for wire transfers or payment in person or over the phone as part of a two-factor authentication process. Do not verify these requests using the phone number listed in the request for payment.
- All users should keep systems and software up to date and use a good anti-virus program. These programs are not foolproof, however, and computer users themselves often help cybercriminals get through these safeguards.
Own IT. Secure IT. Protect IT.
Let’s talk Managed IT.
We emphasize accountability and the importance of taking proactive steps to enhance cybersecurity workplace and at home. Altek can analyze your current infrastructure, network security, and office technology to create a plan that aligns with your company’s needs while staying within a monthly budget.