The Dark Web: Fast Facts and Proactive Steps
COVID-19 has affected every corner of the world, including the Dark Web. As we’ve monitored and analyzed the Dark Web in 2020, we’ve discovered trends that point to today’s biggest cybersecurity threats and gained insight into the risks of tomorrow.
There are more than 4.5 billion web pages on the “standard” internet. The “full” internet, including the Dark Web, is estimated to be up to 500 times larger. Without the proper resources, these may sound like arbitrary numbers. We can assure you, we witness business failure as a result of blissful ignorance or human negligence. Unlike other companies, pushing scare tactics, Altek wants to inform you! Let’s run through a couple fast facts and go over 2 steps to stay educated and be proactive, making this all a lot less scary.
Organizations had a breach caused by third-party information theft
More than 3/4 of Dark Web sites appear to be marketplaces
Phishing attacks, including COVID-19 scams, have climbed in 2020
The Dark Web isn’t just accessed by a small number of people
- 2 million active users connect to the Dark Web through the TOR browser every day.
- Approximately one third of North Americans used the Dark Web in 2019.
- About 60% of the information on the Dark Web could potentially harm organizations.
Dark Web activity is skyrocketing post-pandemic
- Over 1,400 COVID-19 related domains were registered in Q1 2020.
- There was a 738% increase in COVID-19-related terms on the Dark Web in March 2020.
- Dark Web use has increased by more than 300% in the last 3 years.
The Dark Web economy is booming
- An estimated 2 to 5% of the global GDP is laundered on the Dark Web in one year.
- The price for access to corporate networks increased by 61% in Q1 2020.
- Cybercrime yields in excess of $1.5 trillion in revenue per year.
Your data may already be on the Dark Web
- Information on 267 million Facebook users sold in Q1 2020 for $540.
- In Q1 2020 alone over 73.2 million new user records hit the Dark Web.
- 164 million user records from a dozen major companies were exposed in just Q1 2020.
2 Steps To Take Control
Prepare and protect your business from the Dark Web
Get Someone To Watch Your Back
Are your passwords for sale on the Dark Web? Is one of your staffers selling access to your systems? Were you exposed in a third-party Dark Web data dump? Find out with Dark Web ID. We’ll dive deep into the corners of the Dark Web to look for potential risks to your organization. Dark Web ID also watches for new Dark Web threats to your systems and data 24/7/365 to alert you to potential trouble quickly, enabling you to stop cyberattacks before they start.
Get Ready To Defend Against Your Biggest Threat
Over 90% of data breaches start with a phishing attack, and everything a cybercriminal needs to mount an effective phishing attack against you is available on the Dark Web. Prevent those attacks from landing with BullPhish ID. With 80 phishing kits and 50 video campaigns (including COVID-19 threats), plus 4-6 new training tools added per month in 8 languages, BullPhish ID ensures that your staff is ready to be your first line of defense against this Dark Web threat.
Request a Dark Web Scan & Safety Evaluation
We provide free quotes, virtual demonstrations, and on-site evaluations
We analyze all of your business technology with the goal of eliminating stress, streamlining workflows, and increasing profit. You have nothing to lose!